- Let’s celebrate! Formal dresses for wedding guests are a must and of course they are allowed to catch the eyes – but finding the right balance is important. Wearing super sexy dresses when a guest at a wedding? No thank you! After all, it should be all about the bride. So please don’t wear anything with a very low cut or extremely high slits. Ideally you should go for elegant modesty and stand out with a modern silhouette or a stunning print.
- Crack the color code: In terms of color, dresses for wedding guests are limited a little, at least when sticking to a traditional dress code. White and all its nuances are reserved for the bride. Red is traditionally only worn by the mother of the bride. And black is traditionally a no-go, because it is a color of mourning! However, the rules have since loosened up a bit, and sometimes black or white dresses for wedding guests are even explicitly requested. The dress code issued by the bride and groom always has priority.
- It’s official: Similar rules for dresses apply for guests at registry office weddings. Even if church dress codes do not apply here, elegant dresses for wedding guests should still be the standard. After all, it is still an official occasion. In general, however, you can wear something a little simpler than at the most pompous church wedding: Instead of a wedding guest dress with glitter, celebrate the wedding in a cocktail dress dress instead.
- Need a quick lesson in fabrics and materials for formal fashion for wedding guests? As a spring wedding guest, remember: Feel free to wear a dress that competes with the bridal bouquet. Gorgeous floral prints and soft colors are always a good choice. In Summer, dresses made of lightweight materials are perfect for an extravagant celebration. Long evening gowns in delicate chiffon will shine at the wedding in a chic boho look. And what about a winter wedding? Sophisticated long sleeve dresses are a good choice here.
- The most important supporting role at a wedding is an obvious one: As mother of the bride, support your daughter at the wedding in a formal pant suit for women. Whether it is a shimmering satin suit in red or an extravagant jumpsuit that will make all wedding guests turn their heads – be brave and try something new. Dresses for the mother of the bride are also common at the registry office. Celebrate the wedding in an elegant sheath dress, or underline your role as the most important wedding guest in a wrap dress – a casual and flattering choice, especially in larger sizes!
- Dress codes for bridesmaid dresses are not always specified. But one thing has proven true: Soft pastel tones complement the white wedding dress of the bride wonderfully and do not steal the show. This tip applies to every wedding guest: a satin dress is a particularly special choice and shimmers beautifully.
What to wear as a wedding guest?
What dress should you wear as a wedding guest? In simple terms: Let the bride shine on her special day and never try to compete with her!
Wearing white is a no-go, because that is reserved for the bride. The elegant midi dress, on the other hand, is always a good option for wedding guests – made of satin or other flowing materials. This length suits tall women in particular. Floral patterns and prints are classics at any celebration. And if evening wear is not called for, the short wedding guest dress – i.e. a knee-length cocktail dress – is certainly the best choice.
However, as the wedding guest, it is up to you if you opt for a jumpsuit, formal pant suit or cocktail dress. The main thing is that it’s smart, stylish and elegant! A flowing, shimmering pair of culottes with a wide-cut leg creates a wonderfully feminine look for women that feel more comfortable in pants. In hot temperatures, feel free to celebrate the wedding in a colorful, flowery summer dress. In winter, a wedding guest dress in subtle satin or romantic floral jacquards is more suitable and no less glamorous.